3,000 landmines dismantled in one week
9/10/2019 2:03:00 AM
الصحوة نت - خاص
Alsahwa Net- The Saudi-funded mines clearance project (MASAM) said this week that nearly 3,000 landmines and unexploded ordnance were cleared during the first week of September.
The Iran-backed Houthi rebels have laid thousands of antipersonnel, antivehicle and antitank landmines throughout Yemen during the ongoing courses of fighting with the government forces.
Osama Al-Qasibi, general director of MASAM said that mines experts removed this week 2,554 unexploded ordnance and 53 explosive devices.
He added that the experts have also removed 350 antitank landmines and nine antipersonnel landmines during the same period.
The total number of cleared landmines, unexploded ordnance and explosive devices reached about 90,000 on Friday 6 September 2019, according to Al-Qasibi.
The Yemeni Ministry of Interior said last month that civilians’ lives are in a great danger due to the spread of one million landmines which were planted by the Houthi fighters across the country.
A recent unpublished UN report said last week that the Houthis committed war crimes and violated the international humanitarian law by using antipersonnel and antivehicle landmines in civilian sites.